First Presbyterian Church was first chartered on September 10, 1914. The Rev. R. L. Phelps came by horse and buggy on what would more accurately be called trails rather than roads to preach the word of God in homes of the people of the community. The first church building was built in the winter of 1915 and early part of 1916.
The charter of the new church contained these words: “We declare our acceptance of the Bible as God’s word, the only infallible rule of faith and practice, and confess faith in Jesus Christ the Son of God as our only Savior from all sin.
The first elders elected to office were: J.W. Milling, J. J. Nicholson, J.M. Cole, and F.B. Nicholson. The first sanctuary served the church until the present sanctuary was completed in July of 1972.
The church was dismissed from the United Presbyterian (Northern) Church to the U.S. (Southern) Church in 1963. The church left the Southern church (now the PCUSA church) in 1974 and joined the Presbyterian Church in American (PCA).
Rev. R. L. Phelps was the minister from the founding of the church in 1914 until 1918. Rev. C.P. Thrailkill served on two separate occasions, from 1918 to 1924 and again from 1948 to 1956. Rev. A.C. Smith served from 1924 to 1929. The Rev. A.N. Penland served for the longest term of any of the ministers. He served from 1929 to 1944. Rev. J. H. Laster served from 1945 to 1948. Rev. V. A. Brogden served from 1957 to 1960. Rev. C. W. Allen served from 1961 to 1962. Rev. C. L. Skinner served from 1964 to 1968. Rev. E. H. McNeely served from 1970 to 1973. From 1973 to 1986 the church had four ministers. They were William Smith, Dan Faber, Stanley Hartman, and Jeff Weir. Rev. Michael Ahlberg served from 1987 – 1999. Rev. Chris Shelton, the current minister, has served from June 2000 to the present.